Saturday, August 23, 2008

Wow! I can't believe it - we finally have *limited* internet connection back. I have been dying to post all week!

First, I want to thank those of you who reached out to me after my sad last post. I was definitely in a really yucky place and all the kind words and thoughts really helped to lift me up. Thank you! We are both so lucky to have wonderful family and friends.

I am adjusting pretty well to my new school (I will post more on this later), and actually had a pretty good 2nd half of the week. Everyone has been very welcoming and, some administrative difficulties aside, I think I will really like it there. I already know I love the 5 minute commute!

A few quick things to share:
  • According to who you ask, we may be out of the dreaded first trimester! We hit 12 weeks on Thursday and I actually have been feeling less tired the past few days. Unfortunately, the nausea and food aversions I've developed over the past few weeks don't seem to be going anywhere :(
  • I ordered and received on Thursday the "Hi Bebe" fetal heartbeat doppler machine. Now, you may say that $80 is an awful lot of money to spend. But I say, the peace of mind it gives me to hear the bebe each evening is worth waaaay more than that (and believe me, Seth would agree!). Bebe's hb continues to measure between 160 - 170 beats per minute!
  • We have what's called a Nuchal Translucency screening test on Friday at 8:00 am. This is a test where they do an ultrasound to check the amount of fluid behind the bebe's neck. An elevated measurement can indicate chromosomal disorders such as Down's Syndrome or Trisomy 18. They also do bloodwork in combination with the u/s, but this comes later. It's usually only offered to women 35+, so I had to do a lot of back and forth between Dr. Penn's office and Blue Cross. It will be covered though - my argument is, does 7 months really make a difference? The funny thing is, we're really just having it done to see bebe on u/s again - I simply can't wait for 20 weeks! Unless they found some type of fatal abnormality, it wouldn't affect our decisions anyway. Unfortunately, a good friend just found out through this test that her baby has a 50% chance of having such a problem which is so scary - please keep her and her baby in your prayers that it resolves on its own.
  • We have our fantasy football draft today. Apparently Kirk has spent much time and energy arranging a multi-media presentation akin to The Meadowlands on NFL draft day. Not sure how it will all work out, but keep in mind as the season wears on that I have not researched anything at all (kind of busy and preoccupied these days!) and will probably end up with a losing team as I did last year before the wedding...

I wanted to share my disgruntled opinion on tomato gardening. Is it really worth everything that goes into it to have a billion tomatoes for 2-3 weeks and nothing the rest of the year? I've been putting tomatoes in everything! I will be making a panzanella (Italian bread salad) to take to Kirk's today, with the sole purpose of getting rid of a bunch at one time! Here's how I make it:

  • Tomatoes cut into large chunks
  • 1 red onion
  • Italian/French bread cut into large cubes and left out overnight to harden
  • Olive oil
  • A couple cloves of finely chopped garlic
  • A few splashes of balsamic vinegar
  • Fresh mozzarella cubed (optional)
  • Salt and pepper

Basically, mix everything together except the cheese and bread - those need to be thrown in at the last minute since they'll get soggy!

I'll post more later!

No comments: