Sunday, August 31, 2008

School days, school days, dear old golden rule days...

I think I'll just make a nice, bulleted list of how our year is going so far...

  • On the first day of school, many students were curious as to whether I was part of the Bigelow Tea family. I don't know how to adequately get my response across in writing, but this is a large cultural jump from being asked if I was related to Deuce.
  • As I mentioned before, 3-4 days/week I get to eat my lunch in the same manner as most American adults - without choking. It makes a HUGE difference in not feeling stressed out and sick for the rest of the day. I also can make copies, get ready for the afternoon, etc. if I forget to do something first thing in the morning.
  • There is no schoolwide behavior plan, so it's up to me to create my own. Funny, I don't really need one.
  • I had 4 criers on Friday. Not used to criers, especially when there's no good reason! I just felt like telling them "You can't cry. There's no crying in fifth grade!" and momentarily worried about toughening them up for middle school. Then I realized they'd be going to SP Middle School and they'll probably just get babied there too. Anyway, I'm still going to toughen them up a bit - nobody likes a crybaby! :)
  • I don't check homework. This is because everyone does it. It's so nice to not traipse around with a clipboard full of names at recess trying to corrall all day's the offenders.
  • Leaving home 5 minutes before I have to be at school is absolute heaven!

Now, I don't want it to sound like everything is roses. It is a huge, drastic improvement over what I'm used to and I appreciate that more than I can express. Being pregnant and teaching though does have a unique set of challenges, including feet that hurt from the moment I wake up in the morning and not nearly enough breaks in the day to use the bathroom. I also find that I'm a lot more disorganized and scatterbrained than usual, which apparently comes with the territory. Drives me crazy while teaching though!

No comments: